Monday, October 25, 2010

Jumping off a bridge

Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to just let go... to walk off a ledge and just disappear. To feel that moment of free fall when the world has no claim on you. To just jump off and fly?

There have been many moments when Ive thought about it. Just pick up and go. To just disappear. No cares, no worries. Start life over all over again.

Jumping off a bridge is probably as close to obtaining that feeling as I ever could.

For a whole week, my friend J had been pestering me about trying out bungy jumping at Sunway Lagoon. For a long time my reaction was "uuurrrrr not really". I felt like a coward, like I simply couldnt do it... But then I remembered a younger me, a more daredevil me. The little girl who would climb trees and fall, the girl who would cycle with her brother through the forest on an adventure. The stunts we used to pull on the bicycle handlebars. I remembered that little girl in me and finally in a moment of strength told him

"Ok, Im in. And dont let me back out"

So Saturday morning saw me in Sunway Lagoon getting ready for the first bungy jump of my life. Its a relatively new product offering in Sunway and managed by AJ Hackett - the bungy jumping company from New Zealand. Sadly though to get in to the site you actually have to pay to enter Sunway Lagoon first. A feat that would set you back RM60 even though you may have absolutely no interest in going to the water park or the theme park (BOOOOOOO)


(The bridge you jump off is ~8-9 storey's high)

Then of course you pay an additional RM75 (if youre Malaysia, its more if youre a foreigner) to actually do the bungy jump itself.


(View from the bridge)

The jump is off the bridge in the middle of Sunway Lagoon. And I must say that I checked before committing to J about going and was relatively happy to find out that you jump over a small man made lake. I mean if Im going to jump off a bridge I might as well jump into a pool of water right? I mean... I would feel a little safer... u know, JUST in case something was to happen, I can swim. Though maybe I wouldnt be able to swim so well when Im still tied to a long arse cord...


(The pool of water you jump into... and the little boat that comes to get you)

They tie you up nice and tight and bring you to the ledge. You have two options - you could either jump off with just enough string to touch the water or you could just jump off and not touch the water. I opted for the water, because if youre going to do it, might as well go all the way right?


(Getting ready to jump)

(On a side note the guys told me that there are some adrenaline junkies who come in during lunchtime in their work clothes, do a jump, and then head back to work... I think it helps if you hate your job)

Then, you head to the ledge... and if youre lucky... you jump


(jump!)

I could wax lyrical about the beauty of the free fall or watching the sky slowly turn into a pool of water where you magically fall into... but the truth is

ITS THE MOST CONFUSING MIND SHIT YOU COULD GO THROUGH

This was my train of thought as I jumped off the bridge
"ohmygod-thisisinsane-iamsoscared-breathebreathe-isthatwater??!!-OHMYGODIMATTHEBOTTOM-makesurehandsarein-wtfwasthatit-imbouncing-imbouncing-imalive!!!!!"

Then youre left hanging upside down as a small boat comes by to pick you up.

So, now that I've tried it once and know what to expect I do think its quite enjoyable and wouldnt mind trying it again. Though honestly, it TRULY is a leap of faith...

http://www.sunway.com.my/lagoon/extreme.asp

Recommended attire : well, actually you could wear anything, just make sure its not super loose or have tassels or something. You dont have to wear shoes and if you bring a bag you can also bring it up to the bridge with you as they will lower it to the boat after you land

1 comment:

  1. confusing mind shit. :)

    can imagine how that feels. skydiving does the same too when you free fall. cant compute anything else but the blue sky. but that is the most addictive part. the danger zone. it redefines your excitement level.

    congratulations.

    ReplyDelete